I don’t think I’ve posted a cupcake on this blog yet – HOW CAN THAT BE?!? Cupcakes are my FAVORITE thing in the world to make (and eat!). Making and decorating cupcakes is my favorite hobby. I just can’t get enough!
I promised Lauren (my twin sis) that I would make her some Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes for her (our) birthday (yesterday!). The thing is… pregnancy brain struck and I LITERALLY forgot to make them! I had all the ingredients bought and ready to go, and I just completely blanked out and didn’t realize what day it was until I woke up yesterday and realized that the promised-cupcakes were still in ingredient-form! OOPS! So, I made them today to bring to her tomorrow. 🙂
These Chocolate Oreo cupcakes have a surprise Oreo baked on the bottom. The chocolate cupcake recipe is adapted from one of my FAVORITE chocolate cupcake recipes from Sally’s Baking Addiction. The frosting has a butter and cream cheese base, plus lots of crushed Oreos mixed in. I hope she doesn’t mind getting a box of 11 – a baker’s dozen from me is 11, not 13 😉 (hey, the baker needs one, too!)
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
Active Prep: 15 minutes
Bake time: 18-20 minutes
TOTAL: ~35 minutes
YIELDS: 12 cupcakes
- ¾ c all-purpose flour
- ½ c Hershey’ Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c light brown sugar, packed
- ½ c white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ c buttermilk
- 12 Oreo sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Prepare a cupcake tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add brown sugar, white sugar, oil, and vegetable oil and mix on medium high with an electric beater until well-combined.
- Add half of flour mixture, followed by half of buttermilk, slowly folding in after each addition. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Place one Oreo cookie in the bottom of each cupcake liner. Add ¼ cup of batter to each liner. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Frost with Cookies and Cream Frosting and decorate as desired!
Cookies and Cream Frosting
Prep: 15 minutes
YIELDS: Frosts ~12-18 cupcakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 blocks), room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 c confectioners’ sugar
- 6-8 Oreo cookies finely crushed (~1 cup)
- 12 mini Oreo cookies, for decoration (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt on medium-high speed until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- With mixer on lowest setting, slowly add confectioners sugar. Once incorporated, increase speed to medium-high to blend well, about 1 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add ¾ c of the Oreo crumbs. Mix until combined.
- Frost cupcakes as desired. Garnish with mini Oreo cookies and remaining Oreo cookie crumbs. Enjoy!