This week we found out if we are having a boy or a girl! To reveal the news to our family, we decided to make a “gender reveal” cake. We decided to make a chocolate cake (our favorite) with some of the most delicious cream cheese frosting to compliment it. Blue or pink frosting would be on the inside, and the outside would be white frosting. When we cut into the cake, it would be revealed whether we were having a boy or a girl!
The cake recipe is based strongly off of a Hershey’s chocolate cake recipe. I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder to give it that extra dark flavor, and I used hot coffee instead of boiling water to bring out the cocoa flavor even more. The result is a super moist cake packed with chocolately flavor. The cream cheese frosting recipe is the perfect balance for this cake. It’s not overly sweet, so it really compliments the chocolate cake.
So… was it a boy or a girl?! Check out the photos below! I added pink and blue sprinkles to the entire outside of the frosted cake to make it a bit more fun. Enjoy! 🙂
Dark Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Active Prep: 30 min
Bake time: 30-35 minutes
TOTAL: ~1 hr, plus cooling and frosting time
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 2 c sugar
- 1 ¾ c all-purpose flour
- ¾ c Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- ½ c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c brewed hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate small bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and vegetable oil. Add to flour mixture and beat on low until just combined.
- Slowly stir in vanilla and coffee. Batter will be very thin. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake at 350 °F for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from cake pans and cool on wire racks completely. Frost as desired with cream cheese frosting (recipe follows).
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8 oz each) blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 lb confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ – ½ c milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add softened butter and cream cheese. Beat on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add half of confectioner’s sugar. Add ¼ cup milk and vanilla, then continue adding the remaining sugar. Add additional milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and increase speed to medium high for 1 minute until well-combined. Frost cake as desired.
It’s a boy!!!