This chicken parmesan recipe is one that you will think about all day long, both long before AND long after you make it! I know I’ve been thinking about it for daysssss. The breaded chicken is bursting with Parmesan flavor, and the sauce is absolute PERFECTION. I actually think the sauce is my favorite part of this recipe! So simple to make, but so flavorful. I was eating it by the spoonful while it was simmering on the stove. 🙂 I ended up making a second batch of it because I poured so much of it on my chicken and pasta! It is THAT GOOD. I am making stuffed peppers later this week, and I think I might use this sauce in the recipe… we’ll see 🙂
Anyways… enough about the sauce. The whole dish is fantastic. I hope you get to try it. The recipe is adapted from a recipe in my beloved America’s Test Kitchen cookbook. Enjoy!
Active Prep: 30 min
Cook time: ~10 min
TOTAL: ~ 40 min
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (~1 lb), cut in half then filleted and pounded ½ inch thick (4 pieces of chicken total)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ¾ c grated parmesan cheese
- ½ c Panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients; stir well. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Preheat broiler. Season chicken with salt. Whisk egg and flour together and pour in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Whisk together Parmesan, Panko, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper and pour in another shallow dish. Dredge each chicken piece in egg mixture, then coat with Parmesan mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place cutlets in pan and cook on one side for 2-3 minutes, until breading is golden brown. Flip cutlets and cook for another 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Place cooked cutlets on paper towel-lined plate to drain, then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over chicken. Place in broiler for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- Serve chicken immediately over pasta (if desired) and top with sauce. Makes 4 servings.