I’ve been reminiscing about the summer, the beach, and tropical vacations. What I wouldn’t give to be lying on a beach somewhere, roasting in the sun, and sipping on a fruity drink with one of those cute little umbrellas in it!!! Since that’s not quite possible right now, I’ll bring the beach into the kitchen. How does a Piña Colada cupcake sound?
Let’s do ourselves a favor and combine the sweet, summer flavors of pineapple and coconut into cake-form and top with a creamy coconut frosting. Top it with some sweetened shredded coconut and one of those cute umbrellas, and it’s almost like we’re on the beach… right?!
I hope this Piña Colada cupcake brings you a little taste of paradise as we continue waiting for the summer sun to arrive!
Piña Colada Cupcakes
Active Prep: 15 min for cupcakes, 10 min for frosting
Bake time: 20 min
TOTAL: 35 min, plus cooling and frosting
- 1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 c canned coconut milk
- 1/3 c pineapple juice
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 1 c pureed pineapple
- 1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2 Tbsp canned coconut milk
- ¾ tsp coconut extract
- 3 ½ c confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ c sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, pineapple juice, and coconut extract. With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture, alternating with pineapple juice mixture until just combined. Fold in pureed pineapple. Do not over-mix.
- Add batter to prepared cupcake pan (~1/4 c of batter per cupcake). Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 18-22 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Frost with coconut buttercream as desired.
- Coconut Frosting: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add coconut milk and coconut extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until combined, then increase speed to medium-high to whip together. Add additional powdered sugar or coconut milk until you reach desired consistency. Frost cupcakes as desired, then garnish with shredded coconut. Makes 12 cupcakes.