I know what you’re thinking. You’re looking at the picture of my terribly burnt pork chop and saying to yourself, why isn’t this considered a failed recipe? When in reality, this is the opposite of failed. This is the BEST PORK CHOP RECIPE EVER.
I’ll tell you why – it isn’t burnt. At all.
Why is it so black, you ask? That’s the secret ingredient. The ingredient you’ll never guess. That ingredient is COCOA POWDER.
I can’t claim this recipe as my own. This one is all John’s. He spent the entire summer trying to perfect his grilled pork chops, and he did it. It’s brined for several hours then rubbed with a cocoa powder spice mixture. Then grilled for just the right amount of time and in return you get the tastiest, juiciest pork chop you will ever eat! He created this recipe based on several he’s found over the years – and the outcome is just phenomenal. Not a chocolate lover? Don’t worry, this tastes NOTHING like a chocolate-covered pork chop. The bitter flavor of the unsweetened cocoa powder combines with the flavor profiles of all the other spices and creates magic. Please try this at your earliest convenience. It will change your life!
Quick & Juicy Grilled Pork Chops
Active Prep: 10 minutes
Cook time: 7-10 minutes
TOTAL: 20 minutes (plus brining)
- 4 bone-in pork chops (~1 lb each)
- 1 quart water
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- In a medium bowl, mix together water, sugar, and salt. Add to Ziploc bag with pork chops. Brine for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Pat pork chops dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper generously on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together cocoa powder and chili powder. Rub mixture into pork chops.
- Heat grill to direct high heat. Grill pork chops over direct-high heat for 3 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Flip pork chops again and grill over medium direct heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.