While John was away last week, he went to Red Robin 3 times. THREE TIMES. It was the only restaurant within walking distance. By his 3rd trip, he was hamburgered out, so he got a bruschetta chicken sandwich (something I honestly never thought he’d ever order!) with a salad on the side (no fries!!). He liked the sandwich so much that he suggested I make something like it for dinner this week – so I did!
This chicken is marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing based mixture, baked, then topped with mozzarella cheese, a delicious bruschetta topping (which includes tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and basil). Served over some crusty Italian bread, you have yourself a delicious and relatively healthy meal that will satisfy both your meat and veggie cravings! The recipe was inspired by a Hunt’s grilling recipe.
What will I change next time? I think I’d like to pound the chicken breast nice and thin, and THEN marinate. The chicken breasts I used were so thick that I think I lost out on some of the flavor from the marinade. I would also use fresh sliced cherry tomatoes. Canned tomatoes are great when you don’t have much time, but I much prefer fresh. That being said, the recipe is superb as-is – but I’m always looking for ways to make it even more tasty!!
Baked Bruschetta Chicken
Active Prep: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 1-8 hours
Cook time: 25 minutes
TOTAL: 45 minutes (plus marinating time)
- ¾ c balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 (6 oz) can tom paste
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (~1 lb each), cut in half
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- ½ c balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- ¼ c tomato paste
- ½ c chopped scallions
- ¼ c chopped basil
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices Italian or French bread
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese (~6 oz total)
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Pour into Ziploc bag and add chicken. Mix until chicken is covered. Marinade in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425° Spray a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick spray and add marinated chicken. Bake until no longer pink in the middle, about 20-25 minutes. Add one slice of cheese to each piece of chicken and bake for an additional 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- While chicken is cooking, make the topping. In a medium bowl add diced tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette, tomato paste, scallions, basil, and minced garlic. Mix well and refrigerate until chicken is done.
- When chicken is done, toast slices of bread and put on plate. Place chicken breast directly on top of bread. Top with several spoonfuls of bruschetta topping.